About Me

My photo
I've taken a recent obsession with nails! I'm a server at a restaurant, where I am constantly pointing at menus and using my hands, so I began to get my nails done. A basic french manicure, although professional, began to bore me so I got fun designs like strips and polka dots. Unfortunately, the more complicated the design was the more complicated it was trying to describe what I wanted at the nail salon. So I have literally taken things into my own hands. In this blog, I'd like to explore different brands of nail polish/nail care and share different designs.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Animal Prints Week 2: Fish Scales

This elegant design is week 2 of my animal print series. Throughout this series, I am creating unique fashion prints that tend to be a little neglected, but are still fabulous! Where else can you find fish scale print nails, or anything for that matter? ...HERE!! You can have this eye-catching design, too, just after completing a few steps.

WHAT YOU NEED:

base coat (NailTek), hot pink polish (SinfulColors' "Cream Pink"), hot purple polish (SinfulColors' "Dream On"), gold polish (Essie's "Shifting Power"), fast drying top coat (Seche Vite), and a detail brush

Estimated time: 1 hour

STEPS:
1. First start off painting your nails with 1-2 coats of a base coat of your choice. Then paint all of your nails with ONE coat of a hot or bright pink polish. I like SinfulColors' "Cream Pink" because it has a slight tint of gold to it, which will help bring the look together in later steps.

2. Now, here, you will need to work quickly. Open up both bottles of your hot pink and purple polish and get out your detail brush. One finger at a time, paint your ONE nail with a second coat of your hot pink polish then IMMEDIATELY apply your purple polish to the tip of your nail. While both polishes are STILL WET, take your detail brush and swirl the two colors together with your detail brush. Continue this process on the next nail, and so on. The blending does not need to be perfect, real fish aren't perfectly blended. 
**It is helpful to use generous amounts of polish so it stays wet a little longer, making it easier for you to mix**

3. Apply one coat of a fast drying top coat and let your nails dry for 3-5 minutes.

4. Clean your detail brush with acetone or nail polish remover. Then use and index card, paper plate, or plastic protector sheet (whichever you prefer) and create a glob of gold polish. Use your detail brush to create the fish scales, using your gold polish. You can make these scales as small or as big as you'd like!
**When creating the fish scales, think of an abundance of tiny hills**

5. Once you have drawn on scales on every nail, apply a second coat of your fast drying top coat...

...and you're done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment